PERENNIALS are a vital part of your garden, and some especially colorful flowers can seem like a great accent to what’s in your beds.
But pick the wrong plants, and you could be filling your garden with danger, or even killing off all your other plants.
According to gardening experts at Backyard Boss, a number of popular perennials could pose a threat to your garden.
Bright yellow daffodils are synonymous with spring, but the flowers can become invasive.
“Daffodils are not compatible with many other plants, so they can crowd out other flowers in your garden,” the pros warn.
The poisonous bulbs could also be harmful to small children or family pets if eaten by mistake.
Another sunny-looking perennial, Scotch broom, looks great in your yard but can be toxic to the environment.
“The seeds of Scotch broom contain a toxic chemical called cytisine that inhibits the growth of other plants,” experts explain.
“This makes it difficult for native species to re-establish themselves in areas that have been invaded by Scotch broom.
“Not only do these plants crowd out native species, but they can also poison the soil and waterways,” the garden pros added.
Avoid Scotch broom in your landscaping, and while you’re at it, skip over purple loosestrife too.
The lovely flowers thrive in high-moisture environments, covering the area in carpets of purple.
But once loosestrife takes hold, it becomes difficult to remove, choking out other native species.
The same is true for periwinkle, which also poses more personal risk. “Periwinkle can cause problems for people as well,” the experts wrote.
“It is known to harbor harmful pests and diseases that can spread to other plants in your garden or even your home.”
And it’s not going to help the other flowers in your garden thrive: the flowers are terrible at attracting pollinators.
Finally, you should avoid a flower that looks beautiful but is highly toxic: lily of the valley.
“The entire plant, including the flowers, leaves, and bulbs, contain toxins that can cause serious health problems if ingested,” experts warned.
At best, being poisoned by the plant can cause vomiting, but the effects can include seizures and even death.
If you want to enjoy lilies of the valley in an arrangement or bouquet, do so, but display the flowers safely – and don’t let them into your garden.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?