|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03303911|
Recruitment Status :
First Posted : October 6, 2017
Results First Posted : October 21, 2019
Last Update Posted : October 21, 2019
The primary objectives of this study are:
- To evaluate the pharmacokinetic (PK) parameters during repeat dosing of 1.5 mg or 3.0 mg cytisine when administered as the commercial 25-day schedule.
- To evaluate the pharmacodynamic (PD) effects (e.g., reduction in smoking) with repeat dosing of 1.5 mg or 3.0 mg cytisine when administered as the commercial 25-day schedule.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Smoking Cessation||Drug: Cytisine||
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Regular moderate cigarette smokers (minimum 10 cigarettes per day) who want to stop smoking.
- Urine cotinine >500 ng/mL.
- Expired air carbon monoxide (CO) > 11 parts per million (no cigarette 1 hour before test).
Healthy males and females 18-65+ years of age.
- If a female subject of child bearing potential, a negative pregnancy test at screening and admission and willing to use an effective method of contraception (unless of non-childbearing potential or where abstaining from sexual intercourse is in line with the preferred and usual lifestyle of the subject) from first dose until 3 months after last dose of cytisine.
- If a female subject of non-child bearing potential, a negative pregnancy test at screening and admission. For the purposes of this study, this is defined as the subject being amenorrheic for at least 12 consecutive months or at least 4 months post-surgical sterilisation (including bilateral fallopian tube ligation or bilateral oophorectomy with or without hysterectomy). Menopausal status will be confirmed by demonstrating at screening that levels of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) fall within the respective pathology reference range. In the event a subject’s menopause status has been clearly established (for example, the subject indicates she has been amenorrheic for 10 years), but FSH levels are not consistent with a post-menopausal condition, determination of subject eligibility will be at Investigator’s discretion following consultation with the Sponsor.
- If a male subject, willing to use an effective method of contraception (unless anatomically sterile or where abstaining from sexual intercourse is in line with the preferred and usual lifestyle of the subject) from first dose until 3 months after last dose of cytisine.
- Subject with no clinically significant abnormal serum biochemistry, haematology and urine examination values within 28 days before the first dose of cytisine.
- Subject with negative urinary drugs of abuse screen, determined within 28 days before the first dose of cytisine (a positive alcohol result may be repeated at Investigator’s discretion).
- Subject with negative human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B surface antigen (Hep B) and hepatitis C virus antibody (Hep C) results.
- Subject with no clinically significant abnormalities in 12-lead ECG determined after minimum of 5 minutes in supine position within 28 days before the first dose of cytisine.
- Subject with no clinically significant abnormalities in vital signs (systolic blood pressure between 90-150 mmHg (age 18-65) and 90-160 mmHg (age >65), diastolic blood pressure (DBP) between 50 and 90 mmHg, and pulse rate (PR) between 40 110 bpm, measured on the dominant arm after minimum of 5 minutes in supine position) determined within 28 days before first dose of cytisine.
- Subject must be available to complete the study (including in-clinic stays and post study follow-up) and comply with study restrictions.
- Subject must provide written informed consent to participate in the study.
- Treatment with smoking cessation medications (bupropion, varenicline, any nicotine replacement therapy) within 8 weeks of first dose of cytisine.
- Use of other forms of nicotine (e-cigarettes, smokeless tobacco) within 8 weeks of first dose of cytisine or are planning to use these products during study.
- Known hypersensitivity/allergy reaction to varenicline, other cytisine-derivatives or any of the excipients in the Tabex formulation.
- History of severe hypersensitivity reactions to any other drugs.
- Current treatment with antihypertensive medicinal products, statins, tuberculostatics, cholinomimetics or anticholinesterase medicinal products.
- History of any medical condition (e.g. gastrointestinal, renal or hepatic) or surgical condition (e.g. cholecystectomy, gastrectomy) that may affect drug pharmacokinetics (absorption, distribution, metabolism or excretion).
- Female subjects who are breast feeding.
- Difficulty in donating blood on either arm or known history.
- History of alcoholism or drug abuse within last 2 years.
- Use of non-prescription drugs, including vitamins, herbal and dietary supplements within 14 days (or 5 half-lives, whichever is longer) prior to the first dose of cytisine, unless in the opinion of the Principal Investigator the medication will not interfere with the study procedures or compromise subject safety.
- Participated in any investigational drug clinical trial within the previous 3 months or a marketed drug trial within the previous 30 days prior to randomisation on Day 1.
- Donation of 450 mL or more blood or had history of significant blood loss due to any reason or had plasmapheresis within 3 months before the first dose of cytisine.
- Inability to communicate well with Principal Investigator or designees (i.e., language problem, poor mental development or impaired cerebral function).
- Any other condition that the Principal Investigator considers making the subject unsuitable for this study.